A Classic Savoury Italian Bread Style – and Several Delicious Topping Options
Is there anything better than fresh, fluffy focaccia for luring customers into your store?
Good news: this divine bread is as easy as it is enticing. And using our customisable dough base, you can get creative with your toppings and keep your customers coming back for more.
Try fragrant garlic focaccia, sprinkled with a little sea salt. Or bake fresh stuffed with olives or scattered with crisp rosemary, dipped into fresh olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar.
Read on for our traditional focaccia recipe and our top flavour combos.
What’s the best focaccia recipe?
Focaccia is a type of Italian bread that is typically made with flour, water, yeast, salt and olive oil.
Or, for maximum ease, you can use our versatile dough base and get creative with your toppings.
The dough can be topped with various ingredients to make herb, olive or tomato focaccia, but there are no rules here – you can make things interesting with garlic and cheese focaccia or try whipping up a pesto focaccia.
It’s often served as an appetiser or snack, but it also makes a great accompaniment to a meal, especially when used to soak up extra sauce.
How to make focaccia bread
It’s easier to simply bake fresh with Suprima Bakeries.
By using Suprima’s versatile White Crusty Vienna dough base, baking mouthwatering focaccia will take minimum effort. Simply follow the preparation instructions on our method sheet.
It’s as easy as:
To create that iconic focaccia bread shape, before baking, flatten the dough on the tray, then use your fingertips or a docker to dock the dough, making dimples all over its surface.
You can then drizzle olive oil over the dough and spread it evenly with your hand, then sprinkle it with your choice of ingredients and a pinch of sea salt.
Creative focaccia dough variations
Your customers will love having different focaccia toppings to try every day. These perennial favourites will be a hit – but don’t be afraid to try your own focaccia recipe too!
- Rosemary and sea salt focaccia: A classic and simple topping that highlights the savoury flavour of the bread.
- Tomato and basil focaccia: A Mediterranean-inspired flavour combination that is perfect for summer. You can use fresh or sun-dried tomatoes to create a tomato focaccia, along with plenty of fresh basil.
- Garlic and parmesan focaccia: A garlic and cheese focaccia is a step up, and the sharpness of the Parmesan is the perfect complement to a garlic focaccia.
- Caramelised onion and thyme focaccia: The sweetness of caramelised onions pairs well with the earthy flavour of thyme, making this a popular choice for a savoury focaccia.
- Roasted red pepper and feta focaccia: A slightly tangy and salty topping that provides a burst of flavour in every bite.
- Potato and rosemary focaccia: Thinly sliced potatoes and fresh rosemary make for a hearty and comforting focaccia topping.
- Pesto focaccia: Smother your focaccia dough in this sauce for a herby-cheesy pesto focaccia.
A Versatile Solution
The same dough base that you use to bake focaccia bread is the same dough base that you can use to bake our White Crusty Vienna bread.
You can bake all of these items and extend your menu by simply using a single dough base.